Top Models - then and now

14:02 Susana Rodrigues 52 Comments

Back in the 90's the two words "Top Model" had a much stronger meaning than nowadays. I think this was due to the fact, that fashion magazines were more into putting models on their covers, instead of Hollywood actresses, singers or even "it girls", like it started to happen in the beginning of the 2000's. Thank God that nowadays we are starting to see beautiful models on mag covers again, the place where they belong.
I've decided to dedicate this post to Top Models from then and now. And I guess Galliano had the same idea on Dior’s Haute Couture Show, where models from different generations were seen on the catwalk.




CHAMALEONIC MODELS:

I'm going to start with the models that, from my point of view, have the same characteristics in what concerns capacity to transform themselves into various styles and looks. Who doesn't remember beautiful and chamaleonic Linda Evangelista? She looked pretty in every way, as a blond or as a brunette or even with red hair. Some models keep the same style during their career but not Linda!

......................................................................................


...............................
The following models, Jessica Stam and Sasha Pivovarova can be compared to Linda, because both can adapt themselves into different styles and always look great.
..................................

...



..............
I put Agyness Deyn, in this group, because even though she has this very unique look, kind of boyish, punky style, I also think she has a very special presence in the fashion world.
...........................



BLACK BEAUTIES:

I still remember when Naomi Campbell appeared for the first time. If today the fashion industry is not easy for a black model to make a career, imagine back in the 90's. Even though I don't like Naomi, because of her bad temper, I must admit she led the way for other black models to start appearing on magazine covers, fashion shows and so on.

....................



...........
I chose the beautiful Chanel Iman, from the black models of today, because I think she has all the chances of becoming a true Top Model.
................




.............
AMAZING BLONDS:


Now I'm going to talk about blond beauties. I still remember when I saw Claudia Schiffer for the first time. I was reading a fashion mag, when suddenly I saw this blond, beauty and sexy model posing on the beach.
................



At first Claudia was known as the new Brigitte Bardot I also agreed with that, because they really were very similar, but I also think Claudia, during her modelling years, proved she could be more than another BB.

I put the next two models together, because Raquel reminds me of Karen. They are both Beautiful, sexy and I think they have a similar face.
....


........
Nadja and Eva (from the 90's) were those models who I think were very sexy and had a huge sex-appeal.
....




......................
Lily, Caroline and Doutzen also belong to the blonds group. Although I think, on the contrary of Nadja and Eva, these three models are more of a lovely, cute and sweet model type, than a sexy one.
....
....
.....


.....
HOT BRUNETTES:
My first girl crush was with Cindy Crawford. Coco, author of Coco's Tea Party wrote a post about "Girl Crush" last May. if you want to know more about this "girl Crush" meaning, just visit her page.
I still remember Cindy in her first advert, I thought she was beautiful, gorgeous, sexy, hot and everything I wanted to be.
.....

There's also the classic beauty, and two good examples are Christy Turlington from the 90's and nowadays model Coco Rocha. They are both beautiful but classic. Their faces are so perfect, almost dollish.


Coco in this second picture looks like she’s an actress from an old movie.



Helena and Hilary have their name starting with the same letter, but that’s not the only similar characteristic I find on them. I think they have a special brunette look: sexy but sweet.




STILL HOT AND STILL HERE:

Now I'm going to talk about "The" model that in my opinion is the most powerful in the fashion world, Kate Moss: and yes dear readers, I know many of you do not like her at all and will probably not agree with me. But let me explain why I think she is so powerful and so important to the fashion industry.

First of all, when she started her career she was not very tall like the other models, and she was also very thin (back in the 90's models used to have curves). But even being so different from the regular model pattern back then, she started a great career and became a fashion icon.

Nowadays, people still know who she is and didn’t forget about her (even if it’s not for good reasons). She is also a trendsetter, she has her own brand of clothing and she is even launching her own fragrance.
See Kate back then in the pictures bellow:


I know I could have mentioned more models, but these are the ones I really think have left and will leave a mark in the fashion industry.
Before I end this post I want to say which one is my favourite, from then and now. I must say Kate is the one I really have a girl crush on. But I'm going to leave her behind this time, and choose someone else.
From the 90's I'm going to choose Cindy Crawford because like I’ve said earlier, she was the first one to get my attention. She was so beautiful I wanted to be like her when I grew up.
Nowadays I have to say Agyness is my favourite, her rebel, funky and punky style makes her look amazing.
What about you? Which models from then and now are your favourites and why? Which other models do you think I should have added to this list?
Models: Agyness Deyn Caroline Trentine Chanel Iman Christy Turlington Cindy Crawford Claudia Schiffer Coco Rocha Doutzen Kroes Eva Herzigova Helena Christensen Hilary Rhoda Jessica Stam Karen Mulder Kate Moss Lily Donaldson Linda Evangelista Nadja Auermann Naomi Campbell Raquel Zimmermann Sasha Pivovarova
by Su

52 comentários:

Nadja, Doutzen and Hilary are by far my favorites out of the "new" bunch... And while I dislike the personal choices that Naomi and Kate have made, there is no denying their longevity.

Coco, Sasha and Agyness annoy me for some reason.

.m. said...

great post! i love every 'past' model mentioned, but is the plain boring Chanel Iman really the future of black models?

Chic Blvd. said...

Ello, dahling. I love this article its very exhilarating!! I love Doutzen Kroes and Coco Rocha. they are abosolutely ahmazing!!! Well done I must say! Comment on the blog!

chicblvdtc.blogspot.com

Ana said...

heart the article. i have to say of the new models i like coco,sasha,gemma (a bit cliche but she is so very ethereal and unique),snejana,hilary and ikeleine (she has such unique style and an intriguing face.)i like the acknowledgment of the girl crush and yes kate is the ultimate! some of her personal choices i dont agree with but she is unarguably amazing and stunning.
<3ana
http://snazzyfashion.blogspot.com/

This is my favorite post yet. I loved Helena and Claudia.

Anonymous said...

hmm what about gemma ward? i love the models you have already posted though!

Aretha said...

My favorite for ever is Christy...Now I love Kate, Irina, Freja and Agyness

I'd give Irina Lazareanu a shout-out too, ditto Daria, they're both immensely cool-looking and have stunning personal style. Also perhaps Behati Prinsloo, she has the ability to completely transform which is something I don't often see.

Zahra said...

Fabulous post! Thank you for leaving a comment on my site :) I have your blog on my feeds so I regularly read your posts haha!

My favorite models back then were Linda & Naomi. My current favorites are Jessica & Chanel.

I never was a fan of Kate Moss even though I think she does have a distinct cool factor about her. I love Hilary Rhoda's face. She's absolutely beautiful!

Curella said...

Raquel Zimmermann is GORGEOUS & she has a killer body! But its still ikeliene stange for me anyday. :-)

Romeika said...

I loved this post, since i'm a huge fan of models from the 1990s. I think the comparisson btw Linda and Sasha/Stam begins and stops in the aspect they might change their looks really fast. Something further than that would be blasphemy.

Oh well, i just can't handle comparissons btw the goddesses from the 90s with any today's models. Perhaps for Gisele, but models these days don't have half of the charisma, personality and world wide popularity models like Cindy (I LOVE HER), Claudia, Linda, Naomi, Helena, Herzigova (she was so beautiful when she was curvy), Karen (the blonde with class), Nadja, Christy, and so many others...

They are unreplaceable.

Great choice of pictures to illustrate the post.

Romeika said...

Ah, i forgot to mention this: "She was so beautiful I wanted to be like her when I grew up.", i thought the same thing. I think your list is pretty good, but i would add Stephanie Seymour, Yasmeen Ghauri, Tatjana Patitz, Paulina Porizkova, Carla Bruni, Bridget Hall, Elle Mcpherson and Valeria Mazza among the 1990s models.

About today's models my fav would be: Gisele and all the brazilians, Karolina Kurkova, Doutzen Kroes, Guinevere van Seenus, Jessica Stam, Natalia Vodianova, Lily Cole, Daria, Angela Lindvall... I also love Laetitia Casta, though she's neither from the 90's or from our times, she's something in between. Ah, Carolyn Murphy and Shalom Harlow as well.

Anonymous said...

Doutzen Kroes!! I really wish i looked like her

Allure said...

In the late 80's and 90's top models were celebrities. But this doesn't happen anymore. If you ask somebody on the street who is the most famous top model rigth now, the answer will probably be: I don't know.

Anyway, my favourite model is Christy Turlington. She is way too perfect. And now, Irina Lazareanu.
I would add Twiggy and Penelope Tree.

My favorite models of the past have always been Shalom Harlow and Milla Jovovich. I do also adore Christy Turlington. For current models, NO ONE beats Cintia Dicker, she is such a unique beauty. I also heart Lily Cole.

thankyou! and is it just me who's completely obsessed with hilary rhoda's eyebrows? i think they're perfect!

if theres one fashion related topic i don't know much about its models. Thanks for educating me on the world's most famous models!

xoxo

My favorite is: mmm i can't remember her name but she's new.
She got big big big eyes like an alien, in fact, she looks like an alien lol

chase said...

My favourite is Linda, Christy and Cindy. But the one on top of my list is Milla Jovovich since she is also an actress and now a fashion designer. Though I heard from a friend that she is a bitch. Coz my friend here works as an assistant to a film producer and she also works with Roland Emmerich (creator of Independence Day, Patriot etc.). And they had this movie which supposedly stars Milla but they had to sack her and instead hired a German actress instead.

wow Chase is Milla a bitch like you just said?? maybe she could pair with naomi!

WAT said...

I wanted to stop by and say hello!

Helena Christensen is a very very very good choice indeed! I'll never forget her in that Chris Issac video for Wicked Game. HOT DIGGITY DAMN!

Naomi Campbell. UGH! I have read horror stories about this woman time and time again! F**K HER!

LADY said...

I think Christy is the most beautiful woman - she is so unique looking.

Actually this list is just about perfect...

Scratch that. It's perfect. All the best models, plus Kate Moss (who merely isn't my favorite, but undeniably a presence in the fashion world.)
Chipper job =]

Shopaholic D said...

Cindy Crawford! I remember reading in my seventeen magazine many years ago about how girls were drawing moles on their face with eye liner to get her trademark (yea...I tried it...haha).

:) D

Agyness Deyn nothing special on her, thats my own personal opinion. great post tho!

joice (jóh) said...

amei o teu também!!! és brasileiro???

kisses and rugs sweet heart ;)

great post, but where is DARIA?

satin pump said...

I really love this article !!
thanks for your comment !!
bizz

Jessica Stam is an incredible "baby face beauty", ravishing with allure and casualness . . . This is subjective, but i would like to add the gorgeous Natalia Vodianova as a "chamaleonic" top model. . . Cordially.

Hi, I've really appreciate your comment..thank you

Gabriella Tinelli from Italy

cloudyswirls said...

one of my favorite models is sophie dahl. i'm not sure she still models, but she's gorgeous and i love her curves. i think they should definately come back. also natalia vodianova, i love her.

penelope said...

i still think tt ms moss looked d best in d CK ads. she's was only 14!!!
haha girl crush.
gemma ward wud be d one i choose=p

btw, i've linked u=p

a. said...

oh your blog is just divine! thanks for visiting mine. ill link you ;]

a. said...

oh your blog is just divine! thanks for visiting mine. ill link you ;]

coco said...

where do i begin? jessica stam, helena, linda i love them all.....
some great photos, its nice to see the old favourites mixed with the new girls

gilda said...

i love gemma ward and agyness! and kate. i don't think she's pretty at all, but there's just something about her, that i love.

Ellen SB said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my site (blush) I REALLY appreciate it.

Anyways: I love Helena C because she always looks so fresh and natural, though she was a skinny b**** she still looked really healthy. Nowadays my favourite is Danish model Freja Beja because her look is so strong. She has got the face of an angel, but is still drop dead gorgeous.

Secret Agent said...

Hello hello! Thanks for visiting. I like your blog a lot too. You have a lot of comments...it's every bloggers dreams to get 30+ comments haha. I'm still trying to reach my 10's (if I'm lucky).

Anyways, I really like some of the girls you put on there. Stam, Naomi, and Raquel are some of my favs. I think Raquel is the ultimate chameleon...you can tell by the way she walks the runways. She can turn it up hot and sexy on the Victoria's Secret runway, but still look poised and shy in a high fashion runway.

Caroline Trentini is also one of my favs because she just seems very humble and she's hot. =) Brazilian girls = two thumbs up!

Back then, Top Models were our "supermodel." That phase is gone now and we call them top models. I'm glad we're starting to see some of our models back on the covers. I absolutely hate it when I see another picture of Jennifer Aniston or Nicole Richie on our magazines. The European magazines seem to be staying with the models, but I'm sure we've lost that specialty with our American magazines.

Have a nice day and I look forward to chatting more Top Models with you ;)

ashley churchill said...

great minds think alike; i JUST wrote about this! good work lady!

I couldn't be more happy with your mention of Chanel Iman, I think she is just so incredibly beautiful. Excellent choices.

jennine said...

great post... it was also nice to see linda evangelista in the dior couture show wasn't it? oh, i missed her and her movie star face.

AMAZING blog, especially this way fun post. Oh, I have always loved Claudia Schiffer and Linda Evangelista. I also dig Hilary and Jessica Stam - oh there are so many I don't even know where to start. Thanks for the stopping by my blog - I am so glad I found yours!

hugs,
gg

Jennifer said...

chanel iman is beautiful
the models have not changed much but their faces have matured you lose that youthfulness I've noticed it in kate etc.

Seraphine said...

I love all the models you chose to highlight. I like that you like different styles; they don't all have the same face or personna. While I like *best* the model I'm with, Kate Moss is the one I return to.

Amazing stuff! I agree with you on every one of them. Fabulous girls!!!

Timika said...

Chanel Iman looks like a cross between Amerie and Cassie.

My favorite models are Iman,Noami Campbell and Kate Moss.Iman is by far my favorite model of all time.She is 51 years old and still as fierce as when it started modeling.

http://kyesi.com/

Mash said...

great,you ve chosen the best models particularly doutzen,coco,kate,jessica....

gia said...

I love the models you've chosen! i really liked reading about all of em n stuff. bravo!

rollergirl said...

Great post. I will always have a special place in my heart for Christy Turlington, she is just angellic and apparently a lovely person too. And ditto for Natalia Vodianova. It's simply not fair that they can be so beautiful on the inside ANd the outside!

I'm working on a post about my favourite 80s models but i'm having trouble finding pics of them...grrr!

i got to see that post Rollergirl :)

thx for the nice comments everyone :D

luv
xoxo
su

Suze1 said...

I like the new doll like models such as Sophie Dahl with their lovely faces and big eyes.

Maria Inês said...

helena christensen is the best!