Live from My Red Carpet - Part I

15:22 Susana Rodrigues 28 Comments

?
My favourite Fashion Bloggers, from "My Red Carpet" List, tell us their verdict on style and must-haves for the new season. I really love their blogs and I hope you enjoy reading their interviews like I did.
?
Today I'm interviewing Jennine from The Coveted, Coco from Coco's Tea Party, Stevie from Discotheque Confusion and Asian Models blogger from Asian Models Blog.
Enjoy:
??
?
Name: Jennine

Blog name: The Coveted

Finish this sentence: "My Blog is about" ... inspiration, process
Finish this sentence: "My own style is" ... in progress
Do you usually change your look (clothes or hairstyle)? The evolution is fast, but the logic behind it always stays the same
Favourite item in your wardrobe: My sliver knee high socks
What would you never wear? Hmmmm good question... I don't know... I would never wear clothes that make me look like a frump.
Favourite Autumn Winter 2007/2008 Collection: Christopher Kane. sexy!
?

?
Favourite Designer: Jil Sander
This season Must-Have: Super high heels
An accessory you can’t live without: I like to call them my wings of desire earrings by Tatty Divine; they are gold and awesome, can’t leave the house with out them.
A trend to adopt: The eco/ethical trend, which I hope is not a trend
Do you wear make up everyday? Yes, I’m old... hehe
What make up product (s) you can't live without? Mascara
Do you change fragrances regularly? No, I wear benefit's 'maybe baby' pretty much since it came out, everything else makes me want to barf.
? ?
Who is your favourite fashion icon? Isabella Blow. She’s amazing.
Do you have a favourite Model? Not really... I’m retarded when it comes to models, but I really respect what they do, because it's so difficult to be so photogenic!
Best Top Model ever: Kate Moss?

??
If you had to choose a year to live, from the last century, what would it be and why? 1928... before the depression, I think that was such an interesting time, and so exotic...
Do you have any beauty secrets you want to share? Try to get 8 hours of sleep already!
You never leave home without: my camera
Last fashion purchase: A handbag by
shopgive
, the designer Christine Valenti works around the corner from my work and she was having a sample sale last night... I cracked and bought a satin handbag with a gold chain handle. It’s lush!
What music is playing in your Ipod? A mix my boyfriend made for me, its very euro and cool, but he didn't tell me any of the artists!
Favourite restaurant in your city? Ooh tough one... there are so many great places to eat... so many.. one of my all time favourites is Plouf, on Belden Lane, they have great muscles...
Favourite foreign city/country? London, because I used to live there.
? ?
Hobbies: when do I have time for that? Oh dear, I love art, blogging, photography, dancing like a maniac...
Favourite song: the rolling stones ... wild horses....

?
**************
?
?
Name: Coco. But the rest is a secret for now!
Blog name: Coco’s Tea Party
Finish this sentence: "My Blog is about" … “the best things in the world. Fashion and Fame.”
Finish this sentence: "My own style is" … “Chic, simple and sometimes quirky.”
Do you usually change your look (clothes or hairstyle)? Not so much. I once went blonde; I really hated it and went back to brunette after a day. And I was never one of those teenagers that was a Goth one day and punk the other. I’d say I’ve found my style and stuck to it.
Favourite item in your wardrobe: The other day I brought an amazing black blazer from H&M, I wasn’t expecting to find anything like that there so it was a really nice surprise (especially as it was £15) I also love this grey tank top that I have had a while, it’s really soft and clings to me perfectly. My favourite items are all basics that I can work other pieces around.
What would you never wear? Trainers or sneakers, whatever you want to call them. I can’t stand them. There ok on guys, but women who wear them when they are not exercising make me feel strange. There are so many nice shoes out there. Pain is beauty!
Favourite Autumn Winter 2007/2008 Collection: I think it could be Stella McCartney but I’m not sure. I haven’t got an overall favourite but that collection is pretty close to being my favourite of the season, it also had the most delicious shoes. I also loved the dresses at Zac Posen, so that was another favourite.
?
?
Favourite Designer: I’m very loyal to Zac Posen, but other faves are Marc Jacobs, Chanel, Miu Miu, Marchesa….. the list could go on for hours.
This season Must-Have: A blazer is the obvious choice but I think the leather jacket is also a great item this season. Also the shoe boot. I saw Ashley Olsen wearing a studded Louboutin ankle boot out in London, it was such a good look.
An accessory you cant live without: I am a sunglasses addict. This summer I brought about 7 pairs. I now have a whole box of them. But I’m also obsessed with shoes and bags. This question is too hard. All my accessories are like children to me so I refuse to choose!
A trend to adopt: Wearing your underwear on your head! Just kidding.
Do you wear make up everyday? Yes and I’m not ashamed. I don’t wear a lot, especially on my skin but I always wear eye make up.
What make up product (s) you can't live without? Double wear stay-in-place powder SPF 10 by Estee Lauder, Daywear plus tinted moisturizer by Estee Lauder, eye make up remover by Estee Lauder, Touche Eclat by YSL, Masterpiece Max mascara and Sin eye shadow by Urban Decay.
Do you change fragrances regularly? I would love to be the kind of woman who has a ‘signature scent’ but I change my mind all the time. Fragrances I wear a lot are: Dolce & Gabbana light blue and Burberry Brit.
Who is your favourite fashion icon? Ashley Olsen, SJP and Kate Hudson are the three people I would want to be if I was someone else. There all style icons of mine.
? ?
Do you have a favourite Model? I don’t think I have a favourite model. I do like Helena Christensen a lot at the moment. Natalia Vodianova and Gisele Bündchen are obvious choices but I like them. Most models at the moment look the same to me.
Best Top Model ever: As in the show Next Top Model? I never watch that so I can’t really answer. If you mean the best supermodel I’d probably say Christy Turlington or Cindy Crawford.
If you had to choose a year to live, from the last century, what would it be and why? I like the clothes from the 20’s and the 50’s and 70’s. I’ll go for the 70’s; I could have been a studio 54 regular.
Do you have any beauty secrets you want to share? Always put hand cream on before you go to sleep. No one wants wrinkly hands when they’re old.


You never leave home without: Clothes on.
Last fashion purchase: The Blazer from H&M and the couture book from the V&A museum.
What music is playing in your Ipod? Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Blondie, Justin Timberlake, Eurythmics, Kanye West, Lenny Kravitz, Britney, Kylie, Madonna, Prince...
Favourite restaurant in your city? I’m a Pizza Express girl in every city! I love their salad Nicoise.
Favourite foreign city/country? I think I’m a New Yorker by heart. Paris is growing on me now though after my recent trip.
?
?
Hobbies: Shopping. What else?!
Favourite song: Today it is Whip It by Devo. So tacky you have to love it!
?
**************
?
?
Name: Stevie
Blog name: Discotheque Confusion
Finish this sentence: "My Blog is about" … having a fun and unpretentious approach to fashion.
Finish this sentence: "My own style is" … generally a little scruffy and experimental
Do you usually change your look (clothes or hairstyle)? I always like to try new ways of dressing.
Favourite item in your wardrobe: My baggy grey cardigan which I sling on over everything. She's one of my best friends and always gives her opinion on new pieces of clothing.
What would you never wear? Anything overtly sexy in an undignified way.
Favourite Autumn Winter 2007/2008 Collection: I'm of a very undesisive nature, but in terms of the mainstream collections, I favoured those who used experimented with all the lovely new textures. Prada, Marni, YSL, Chloe, Burberry P.
? ?
Favourite Designer: I always think there are different favourite designers for different occasions. Balenciaga for something timeless and genius, Fendi for instant glamour, Karen Walker for something quirky, Proenza Schouler to inject a little NY flavour, and Luella for patriotism purposes. But Giles Deacon in terms of a designer for who they are rather than what they design.
This season Must-Have Leather: Trousers by The Row.
An accessory you cant live without: My small anchor necklace which I wear everyday.
A trend to adopt: Whatever personally inspires you. I like to take ideas from old films.
Do you wear make up everyday? Yes.
What make up product (s) you can't live without? Dermalogica Sheer Moisture. It's a foundation come moisturiser.
Do you change fragrances regularly? I go through phases. At the moment it is DKNY by Donna Karan. Quirky with a twist of...coriander! (yes..)
Who is your favourite fashion icon? I think fashion "icon" is a very generous title to award somebody with, but my readers will know that I have a huge crush on Chloe Sevigny. And Roisin Murphy is incredibly fashion forward. I've fallen in love by the sharp tailoring and shoulder pads that she is wearing at the moment.
? ?
Do you have a favourite Model? Lara Stone and Kinga Rajzak.
Best Top Model ever: I hate to say it, but Kate Moss brought the Supermodel to a whole new level.
If you had to choose a year to live, from the last century, what would it be and why? I'm happy living for the moment, things feel exciting right now!
Do you have any beauty secrets you want to share? I wear a little vaseline on my brow bone and eyelids for a dewy look.
You never leave home without: My notepad and pen to jot down sudden inspiration and my Ipod.
Last fashion purchase: I splurged on a £70 leather handbag, and have spent the week feeling slightly guilty.
What music is playing in your Ipod? My relationship with fashion is a bit of a modern marriage, with music being the "other man". So I could quite happily rant about music all day. At the moment I'm listening to Flashing Lights by Kanye West, Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division, Please by Paul Hartnoll and the Hallam Foe Soundtrack.
Favourite restaurant in your city? A favourite cafe instead, called Woodes at the bottom of the main shopping strip Park Street. Always full of interested characters, and stocked with cheap and cheerful food and fantastic cakes. Perfect people watching.
Favourite foreign city/country? Paris for the laid back attitude of the French and their ability to understand and play by the "fashion rules" but I'd also love to visit Toyko for the hustle and bustle and cherryblossom.
?
?
Hobbies: Trips to the cinema alone, seeing live music, people watching, writing for Discotheque Confusion, of course, talking to my cats, all things Wes Anderson, and talking on the phone daily to my best friend who has recently moved to Edinburgh.
Favourite song: I don't feel old enough to have a favourite, and it always changes, but The Start of Something by Voxtrot never fails to put a spring in my step.

?
**************
?
?
Name: Asian Models Blogger
Blog name: Asian Models Blog
Finish this sentence: "My Blog is about" … cataloging and highlighting Asian models who are currently working in the international fashion scene, i.e. there will be no Playboy models here. I try to keep it as professional and as current as possible so I feature works (advertising campaigns, editorials, magazine covers, catalogs) that are new and are still in the market. But sometimes, I'm inspired by some stuff (like Ling Tan's ad campaigns from the late-1990s) and I will post them so readers can get a perspective of what the models have done in the past. I would also like to point out that there is a "Featured Models" section on the left column, which allows the reader to click on the names and see all the work by a particular model.
Finish this sentence: "My own style is" … clean cut, simple and classic - I don't like anything too trendy or blink! blink! I also like to mix and match with high-and-low stuff, like wearing a great pair of shoes with simple dark jeans, or a beautiful jacket over tees.
Do you usually change your look (clothes or hairstyle)? Hahaha! No, I have pretty much looked the same way since *whisper* my late-20s. Once you find something that works for you, stick with it. Err on the side of classic instead of being too trendy.
Favourite item in your wardrobe: Currently, they are my autumn/fall jackets (yes, I bought two) from a new American designer/label called Operations, which opened a store in SoHo recently. The collection was inspired by the silhouettes, colors and materials of a road construction crew uniform in Italy. They are essentially classic jackets with little beautiful details here and there. And since I'm into the classic look, I don't have to worry about it 'being so last season'. Also, I just bought a fabulous bag on Craig's List a couple months ago. I have been wanting the bag for a while now but could not justify the price tag. Then I found a gently used one online for half the retail price.
What would you never wear? Anything too trendy or identifiable to a particular season.
Favourite Autumn Winter 2007/2008 Collection: I'm totally in love with Balenciaga's Fall07/Winter08 collection. I think Nicolas Ghesquiere is a genius. I also love Olivier Theyskens when he was a Rochas. But I'm still trying to understand his work at Nina Ricci. Although I love Oscar de la Renta and Michael Kors, I don't find them exciting anymore. They just churn out the same thing every year. Ditto for Ralph Lauren and Donna Karan OR any other American designers with a few exceptions.
?
?
Favourite Designer : Nicolas Ghesquiere for his innovative yet wearable clothes. I also love Karl Lagerfeld. It amazes me how many houses he design for each season.
This season Must-Have: Military inspired jackets from Balenciaga .
An accessory you cant live without: My bag. Every time I try to leave home without it, thinking I don't want to lug that thing around, I end up regretting it. My life is in my bag!
A trend to adopt: The French women's aesthetic to fashion -
it is better to have two good items than 10 pieces of crap in the closet. I think we (Americans) tend to buy too many stuff of poor quality. It seems like everyone here is shopping in quantity instead of quality.
Who is your favourite fashion icon? Isabella Rossellini and George Clooney.
Do you have a favourite Model? Oh wow! Too many to mention. The model who inspired me to start this blog was actually Ling Tan. I have been a fan of hers for years, when she was the only visible Asian model working in the industry. I remember her being the face of Emporio Armani's perfume, Prescriptives (cosmetics) and Banana Republic in successive years so she was constantly visible throughout the second half of 1990s. I also loved Ai Tominaga when she was everywhere in the early 2000s.
?

?
?
Best Top Model ever: I would have to say, Linda Evangelista - she is a chameleon.
Do you have any beauty secrets you want to share? Get a deep clean facial at the spa once a month or as often as you can afford it.
You never live home without: my bag and my camera.
Favourite restaurant in your city? Nobu or Balthazar if I want to impress people; local cafe if I'm by myself.
Favourite foreign city/country? Paris, of course.

?
**************
?
?
That's all for now... but keep visiting The Stiletto Effect, because very soon, I'll post more interviews and you don't want to miss it...

28 comentários:

coco said...

Fab post, you've managed to get some really exciting interviews
I hope everyone else likes it as much as I have!
I love the way you have laid it out as well
I'm honoured to be on your red carpet and to have you on my front row hahahahah
x x x

-S said...

i love interviews! there is something so fascinating about reading personal favourites of people you don't know.

emsie said...

nice interviews
enjoyed reading those :)

x

WendyB said...

This was great!

gilda said...

first of all, your first song on your flash music player...(i didn't know it was called moonriver) is a song that i love love love and everytime i hear it it makes me wanna cry.

and nice interviews!!! i enjoyed reading it!

said...

nice interviews!

AMAZING post! I love theyr blogs!
Great interviews!

Romeika said...

This was a lot of fun to read, keep on doing it!

Beijos -x-

Hecuba J. said...

exciting interviews! you did such a good job!
..of course we don't want to miss the rest. let's see who will host..! :)

Aretha said...

Great, great interviews. I'm a journalist and I think this is the perfect way to put some original fun on a fashion blog. I can´t wait to see more!

editor said...

this was really fun, especially to read more about the bloggers i already admire. thanks!

Haha how interesting! I enjoyed reading them!!!

Kaye said...

Lovely detailed interviews! Thanks Su! It's great to find out all about the fashionistas behind all those darling blogs!

Kat said...

Wow, Su! These are amazing, I LOVED reading them. It's so interesting reading about the people behind the blogs. All these ladies had such brilliant answers too. Can't wait to read the rest
;-) Brilliant job! x x x

Style Bite said...

Great Interviews. Well executed! Looking forward to reading part 2.

Thanks for the opportunity, Su.

It was fun.

Thank YOU sweetie! :)

Miss V. said...

Very interesting! Loved the interviews.

Secret Agent said...

Great entry! I enjoy going on Asian Models because it's such a unique blog.

Gryphon said...

An intense post, and I read every word. P.S. The featured Prada dress= highlight of that seaon.

Filó said...

I love the post very much!!
É bom saber gostos e opiniões de pessoas sobre as quais a gente só conhece online. Muito bom!!
Bjsssssssssssss

jennine said...

su... thank you so much for the interview!
;)

it was fun!

Bojana said...

Great post!!

Epic idea for a post. It's great to hear what the people behind the "big" blogs have to say

Thank you too Jennine :)

selinaoolala said...

oooo fab! just discovered this blog after adding it to my favourites ages ago but naming it 'ssssss' for some reason?? anyway, lots of juicy post gossip! yum!

luvin your blog! will drop by more often.

qifa said...

ohh dear...you've done a very good job..nice interview..fresh idea...