Vogue Vocabulary

00:18 Susana Rodrigues 28 Comments

I was reading this month issue of Portuguese Vogue, when I found this excellent article about "Vogue vocabulary". It is about the most used words in the fashion world and in the magazine. Let me give you a few examples:
.Vogue: Arthur Baldwin Turnue founded this magazine in 1892, in the States. In 1909 Condé Nast started publishing it, in NY. Nowadays it is published in 17 countries.
.
.Vogue Covers - April 15 (1910) and August 1 (1925)

.
F.O.B.: "Front of the Book"; the first pages of the magazine that are more important and have more text or images related to fashion. These pages are like the "bread of a sandwich", with the main feature articles as the "meat" of the publication.
.

.
Fashion Closet: The wardrobe that is going to be used in a photo shoot. It has pieces of clothing and accessories that arrive from all over the world. It has the trendiest pieces and also the basics. It's the fashion lover "dream closet"!
.
Inspiration Mood: It's a collection of photos to being used in the meeting that previews the fashion shoot. It can be images of the models, movies, art or fashion photos.
.
Backstage: It's the place where designers, stylists, hairdressers, makeup artists and models prepare the shows.
.

.Seating Assignment: The PR (Public Relations) has to decide where each person is going to be seated during a runway show. Since the fashion world can be compared to the political world, taking the right decision, regarding who is seating where, is very important.
.

Front Row: Only very important people from the fashion world will be seat here, such as fashion directors, buyers and celebrities.
.

.
First Look: The first look to appear on the runway during a fashion show. It's also called "Key Look" because it represents the general image of a collection (what a collection is about).
.
Mary Jane's: Mary Jane is an American term (formerly trademarked) for a kind of shoe or sandal with closed toes and a single-buckle strap across the instep and/or around the ankle. They are often made of black patent leather, although some current incarnations can be in a wide array of colours and are also made of canvas or suede.

.
Icon Bag: This is the bag that is going to last you a lifetime. It is an expensive bag, but it will never go out of style and will only get better with age. There are only a handful that are worth our money: the Louis Vuitton "Speedy" (my personal favourite), the Chanel "2.55", the Gucci "Jackie O" and the Hermès "Birkin" and "Kelly" bags.
.
.

28 comentários:

hello! i bought this portuguese vogue... it's wonderful! i love this article in particular - amazing! kisses!!!

I
love
fashion closets.
I hope you enjoy the nina garcia book, it's great

Amelia said...

This is so informative!

Love the post! Very informative

Nay'Chelle said...

I wish I could get mags like portugese vogue. Great post.

coco said...

I want to live in a fashion closet. I would live happily in one.

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-very interesting, great post!!

Cris Lazoru said...

Oh what a good post! And how fab are those vintage Vogue covers?

C.

Bella said...

Um... can I have that closet please!!!!

AsianCajuns said...

Great post. I can't believe those closets for fashion shoots and the image of the Chanel show - breathtaking!

Mimi said...

Awesome idea to make this post.You used also great pics.

enc said...

What an interesting post. I'm proud to say I knew most of this.

yello said...

wow!
i never knew they had vogue in more than 17 countries
haha i'm ab it slow at this,
but awesome post. love it(:

Aretha said...

I want those Mary Janes sooo badly, actually I have a lot of different MJ types

Ondo Lady said...

I love Mary Janes, they are my favourite style of shoe.

yiqin; said...

I love this post!! I want to be a Fashion PR!

Loved it!! Want that fabulous fashion closet!!
Have a blessed Sunday!
kari & kijsa

Secretista said...

I loved this. Especially, the fashion closet. It hits close to home :).

this is so cute! and the vintage covers are pretty..

Cris M. said...

thx for your comment in my blog! :)

Seraphine said...

i'll take the fashion closet. :)
i love your write up about the fashion business.

Cate said...

Hey! Thanks a lot for your comment. I really enjoyed this post. The old covers of vogue are really beautiful. I always like the "bread of the sandwich" most. and I love backstage photos. Mary Janes are one of my favourite type of shoes. I have blue/grey suede ones.
Thanks for a very informative post!

XAVS said...

nice lesson! The first editions of Vogue look soo nice!
X

Very interesting post! loved it!

Love your fashion dictionary. :-)

Did you watch the new reality TV-series called Stylista set inside the offices of Elle Magazine in NYC? 10 young 'interns' compete for a 1-year assistant editor job at Elle Magazine.

Last night's episode dealt with fashion dictionary like empire waist, pin-tugged, in-sleeve, woven, etc.

My earlier comment disappeared! :-(

Anyway, I was saying that I love the fashion vocabulary.

Did you watch last night's episode of Stylista, the new reality TV show set inside the offices of Elle Magazine in NYC? It's kinda like The Next American Top Model except the contestants compete for a one-year junior assistant stylist position at Elle Magazine.

Last night's challenge was to style a mannequin with fashion vocabulary like empire waist, pin-tucked sleeves, etc.

ambika said...

Wow, I didn't know 'mary jane' used to be a trademarked term. I wonder when that changed.

Lynette said...

This Vogue Vocabulary stuff is enlightening--thanks for posting it.